Thursday, September 25, 2008

You smell like death!

This was an interesting little blurb I saw in today's National Post. I can understand using holiday and cooking related smells for marketing purposes, but it makes me wonder what does betrayal smell like? And what type of product are you selling that would make use of the smell of death or war? It's an interesting concept at least and could be another way for marketers to create an experiential interaction with consumers.

Perfumes that smell of sex, death, book bindings now available
Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, September 25, 2008
The perfume industry has begun selling more than just flowery or musky scents: Increasingly, it is producing "narrative perfume," scents associated with sex, death, betrayal, war, or even the precise smell of certain neighbourhoods. A perfume at Holt Renfrew called Secretions Magnifique is billed as "an olfactory coitus" due to its hints of bodily fluids, while a scent called Soldat Inconnu aims to replicate the smell of battle that sticks to a soldier's skin. There is even a fragrance that reproduces the exact aroma of a first edition of perfumer Christopher Brosius's favourite novel. Experts say these perfumes are changing the way Canadians think about fragrance and the nature of contemporary advertising. "When you're trying to influence someone, you want to hit them on as many perceptive neuro-pathways as you can," said Lindsay Meredith, a marketing professor at Simon Fraser University.

3 comments:

Cody said...

You know, I've never thought of myself as the kind of person to wear any scent beyond my own trademark musk but, if I could have the sickly sweet smell of death hanging about me no matter where I was, I just might convert.

Wade said...

I'm curious why the story didn't mention one very popular smell: Money. Many people make comments about how you can almost smell the money when they walk into a ritzy place. Banks could really play this up. People would walk in and go "Wow. I swear I smell money. Do you smell it too, dear? We really should do our banking here."

BDunc said...

Hmmmm does it smell like sex in here or is it just me?