Saturday, September 20, 2008

Big Rock Ad Contest

Big Rock Beer holds an ad competition every year called the "Eddies." First prize is $10,000 for the TV ads and $1500.00 for print ads. Burton and I produced a commercial for this contest last year, here it is:



We threw that ad together in a few days over the mini break last year. We actually ended up being invited to the eastern semi-finals in Toronto, but they don't pay for the trip and neither me nor B-Dunc could afford it. At any rate, this is the ad that ultimately won:





As you can see, it's pretty high end, but I think it's the idea behind the ad that wins the prize, not the production value. The deadline for this year's contest is April 1, 2009. I thought if we had enough lead time, our class could come up with a winner. Whaddya think?

D.

2 comments:

Wade said...

I gotta say, I liked your ad better than the winner. I found it funnier, which is somewhat of an expectation when it comes to beer commercials.
That brings up the further question of whether or not beer ads need to be funny? Is it the creative and the brand identity that sets the beers apart from one another or is it the taste as they want you to believe? (I'm referring to brands like Molson and Labatt, not so much micro-brews and special ales which are all about the taste)
It could be kind of cool to produce a spot for that competition.

Unknown said...

That's interesting. I wonder if we could speak with Big Rock and have an informal "client meeting" to get some feedback on what they're looking for in an ad. I think that they are different enough that we could stray from the "traditional" funny beer commercial and focus instead on quality and taste.