Monday, April 13, 2009



This Facebook ad caught me off guard... So far as I can tell, the WAG wanted to advertise the Marylin Forever exhibit, so they created an ad that looks for people on my friends list who are attending and embeds their name and profile photo into the ad. Facebook has had ads tailored to users' interests for a while now, but this is new to me. I'm not sure that I would want to be featured in an ad without knowing about it first. It seems a little invasive. Maybe this is the first of many such advertising methods after Facebook's new terms of use?

1 comment:

Wade said...

What's really sad about this is that Facebook assumes people are lemmings, blindly following their friends.

Also, what happens if Steph (or anyone else for that matter) is featured in an ad, attends the event and hates it? What happens if she returns from it and says it's terrible and a waste of time?

You also make a good point, Mark about the invasive nature of the ad. Has anyone read all the fine print in Facebook's terms of use? Does anyone even read the fine print? I know I never do because it's so full of legalspeak most of the time that it's not even worth trying to wade through that muck.