Friday, April 17, 2009

Advertising in the U S and/or A

Note: I can only seem to add the first two pictures, and in the interest of getting to work on-time, I am going to work...adding the rest of the pics this wknd.



Advertising and the Recession

One of the things that I had been told about a visit to the US, is that I wouldn’t have a full grasp of the economic situation until I arrived in the US. That was very much the case. Along with all the “For Lease” signs in windows on what should be prime real estate on the Magnificent Mile, and the proliferation of cash advance stores since my last visit, I was struck by how much free inventory out-of-home dealers seemed to have. From bus-shelters in the big city, to super boards on the highway, to even ads in the men’s room at the United Centre (I didn’t take a picture of that), there were ads all over pleading for business. To this laymen, that doesn’t seem like a good business practice, the fact that there are so many ads asking for the business, suggests to me that the ads don’t work. Perhaps giving current advertisers some extra faces might not be a bad idea, to create the illusion of scarcity.



Advertising and Civic Pride

One of the things I’ve always loved about Chicago is that it is a very confident city. Not obnoxious about it like Toronto, but a city that carries with it a very quiet pride. One of the things I noticed is that people take care of their surroundings. If they have lunch in Millennium Park, they make damn well sure that they clean up every crumb left behind. Perhaps this direct appeal, from Mayor Daley has something to do with it.

Also the campaign is in full swing to have the Olympics held in Chicago in 2016. In a city that is renowned for it’s advertising, these ad treatments seen around, (this on was in the lobby of Critical Mass) are marvelous.



Advertising and Politics

Something that is a sure thing, is that after you clear the Pembina border crossing, the super boards on the side of the highway become huge. And generally the feature the gigantic likeness of stupid looking fat men selling you vehicles, stupid looking white men selling you real estate and stupid looking fat men looking to sue your neighbour for not putting sand on her porch in the winter. But something else that is abundant are the incredible amount of pro-life billboards on the highway. I’m not sure if the pro-lifers think that after a couple finds out about an unwanted pregnancy, they’re going to make their way from Alexandria to Tomah for some gas station cheese, so that’s the place to get them, but it seems to me I see more appeals to keep the baby on the side of the highway then anywhere else in my travels to the U S and A.

Funny

I’ll end with this...it struck me as funny. All over Chicago there are “City Information” kiosks where one would assume you would learn about what to do in Chicago. In this case it just says “City Information: Drink Jameson Whiskey”. ‘Nuff said.

1 comment:

Kenton Larsen said...

Mmmm...gas-station cheese.

Hey - post more of your swell pix when you get the chance!