Thursday, April 16, 2009

Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt.

Over the last two years in Creative Communications I have learned that I will probably never get a job as an advertising copywriter in Winnipeg.

First, I’m not the best writer, and second, advertising agencies are far too small to hire more than just one individual to write copy. I know there are a few advertising copywriters in Winnipeg, I just realize I probably won’t ever be one of them.

After a visit to Critical Mass (CM) in Chicago last week, I am kind of starting to think that maybe bigger city will bring me more opportunities. Don’t get me wrong, I love Winnipeg (most of the time) and I would love to work at any of Winnipeg’s ad agencies. However, the idea of working on a $9 million campaign for Las Vegas seems a little more exciting than writing ads for Canadian Footwear.

I wasn’t the only student who had this reaction.

"Seeing that campaign for Vegas that they did, and in only ten weeks? That got me fired up about advertising again!" I overheard Dan Vadeboncoeur say in the van on the way home from Chicago.

Like Vadeboncoeur, I have more interest in an account coordinator position than a copywriter position within an agency. Yet after seeing the campaign for Vegas it was hard not to think maybe I shouldn’t give up on copy writing just yet.

With seven locations worldwide, over 500 employees (100 in Chicago alone), and clients like Rolex, Budweiser, Mercedes, and Las Vegas I was expecting a formal, uptight, corporate environment.

Instead, I found groups of people sitting at their cubicles, working away, wearing jeans and t-shirts. According to Office Manager, Ray Madrigal, it’s not uncommon for people to show in pajama pants most days.

“You should see what some people come in wearing. But why be fake, this is us.”

Of course, when they’re meeting with a client more formal dress is required: Khakis and a t-shirt are the standard.

By this point in our tour, I started to think that this actually seems like a place I wouldn’t mind working. Spending my days playing Nintendo Wii, writing copy for major clients, and coming into work wearing pajama pants – what more could a girl ask for? Then I realized the likelihood of a large ad agency in Chicago ever hiring someone from Canada was probably pretty small.

CM Creative Director, Dwayne Wheatcroft, who I later found out was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, made a point throughout his presentation to us that kind of hit home for me.

“If you don’t push the boundaries, you don’t know how far you can go.”

While I don’t plan on pursuing a career as copywriter or packing my bags and moving to Chicago anytime soon, it’s nice to know that at least there is always that possibility.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't say that! I was completely misrepresented! ;-P JK

Kenton Larsen said...

Sign me up for a job there too. I get the videogame room!